Friday, February 24, 2012

The Abstract

I painted my first picture! We have this spot on our wall above our TV that is very empty and needed some art. When I was at Michael's today I found large canvas packs of 5 for $19. I couldn't resist. I also bought some acrylic paints and paint brushes.

When I got home I decided to mix my blues so that I had different hues of blue and brushed it on with my good brush. Then I attempted some abstractness. It was pretty bad. So then I decided to do what I always do when getting crafty, google it. I tried googling brushing techniques or painting styles. Finally I found a youtube video that showed a man painting with a spatula and a sponge and getting the affect I was looking for. You can see his video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8j3O-C6oA&feature=related

I decided, why not? It didn't look that hard. I found a spatula in the kitchen but the only thing similar to a sponge that I had was a squeaky cloth dog toy so with both I made my first painting!

I think they turned out pretty well. I'm not done yet though. My plan is to paint a tree crossing all 4 of the frames. Kind of this style:


I've also picked up a few tips:
1. Those little tubes of beginner paint sets aren't worth it. They are just too small!
2. The beginner acrylics look good to me
3. Don't waste your money on a pallet, Tupperware works great for mixing
4. Acrylic is water based and will wash up just fine.
5. I wand a fat round brush...
6.Having extra white and black is a good thing

This looks like a good video to learn to paint a tree... http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=rUaR30gW7jY

No comments:

Post a Comment