Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I am digging this baby girl dress making. Once I get over the fear of messing up, it's a lot of fun!

So, I made another dress for St. Patrick's day. A favorite of the lesser holidays. I had to make it because I found this fabric that I really love when hunting in Jo Annes for other things. It was my one purchase I allowed myself not on my list.

Head over to Amber's blog to check out the directions for this dress. It's the exact same pattern I used for the Christening gown.

Some things I changed up:
1. The sleeves - I copied  my t shirt sleeves again but cut them in half with an arc. I should have made them a little longer so that they bunch more. I ended up not having any gathers in the sleeves and I couldn't even get them all the way around the arm holes. No big deal but not ideal.

2. I again did not use interfacing, just cotton under the outside layer. I did not line the skirt part this time with cotton.

3. When I cut out the head piece from my pattern, I cut it on a fold so I can eliminate that step of sewing the two together. This helps it fit over the head later too.

This shows how you can take that bottom part off your sewing machine so that you can sew on the sleeves a little more easily. Sleeves are so hard!

After sewing the final piece on - the part that ends up on the inside of the dress, I realized my fabric wasn't laying down how I wanted it to. So, I pinned down everything on that folded down seem and "blind stitched" it down. I don't know if this is really what a blind stitch is but I sewed the inside fabric to the fabric underneath but NOT the fabric you see on the outside. That might not make any sense....
 Then I folded under the excess material and blind stitched that down. This has to be done by hand but nobody sees it so it doesn't have to look really good or anything.

 This is the dress inside out while pinning everything down.

Voila! The final product on my little model.

No comments:

Post a Comment